Monday, May 9, 2011

Yeah.. Maybe.

Today she asked me in her wonderfully, simple, four-year-old way: "well, how about you be a writer, then?"

We were talking about what she wanted to be when she grows up... She told me she doesn't want to be a doctor because she wants to stay with me forever.. She said "maybe a dentist then. Do Mommies get to..." I cut her off.

Me: "I'll stay with you as long as you need me to stay with you."
Her: "Well maybe we can have houses next to each other?!"
Me: "Absolutely! And maybe a garden?"
Her: "Yeah!"

But yeah. I had been telling her that I wanted to be a dentist for a little while when I was small. But mostly I always wanted to be a writer. She asked that question with a pensive look on her face.. one that hurt me a little bit. Maybe one that made me think that she sensed my thinking, my assumption (and what I assume many Mother's assume). That this is it. This is it. This. is. it. This is what I do. There is nothing else. And while I love being her mommy... while I love so much of this whole "mom" thing.. this isn't it. This isn't all there is to me. But man-oh-man... if I had to amount to one single thing and nothing more.. This would totally be it. ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment